Thursday, June 6, 2013

A New Adventure/Part one

I had the opportunity to watch the triathlon event at lake Oconee in Georgia. It was hosted by a an event organizer called Eleven . The set up of the event was very well organized, and the location was picture perfect. Watching the athletes compete in the running leg of the triathlon, brought back memories of track and field days during my high school and college years, when running long distances was not about finishing; it was about the thrill of competing. As the team members of Destination Training completed their swim, cycling, and run, the question of competing at the the age of sixty came into my head, and it hasn't left my mind since that event. Could I do this-and why would I want to subject myself to this type of torture.

I have been told that it's never too late.A person should stop and smell the roses and absorb the experiences that life has to offer. What experience are they talking about? The good does come with the bad, so they say. I would imagine that the pain of training for a triathlon is an experience that is never forgotten, nor is it viewed upon  as a warm fuzzy feeling that titillates the membranes of your mind. So why do we see that this sport attracts people of all ages? Why would anyone want to pay 85 to 125 dollars to compete in a an event that is going to inflict pain in every inch of their body?

There must be a personal vision that every competitor has during the time they train and participate in an athletic event. I am assuming that the vision is different for every age group. And if it is different, how does a coach bring team members together in order to complete their individualized goals?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment